We Love Holi Festival. Not only for the bevy of colors, but also for the mouth-watering delicacies unique to this occasion. Bags filled with vibrant colors, water guns, Hindi songs(Rang Barse Bhige Chunar vali-one of my favorite 😉 another one is Balam Pichakari jo tune muje mari) , plates piled with festive goodies and blossoming spring breeze, I love Holi. This is how we have been celebrating the festival of colors, yet every year (Even after moving to States). When we were kids, my Mom use to make this Oramu during Holi and Diwali.
Oramu / Fada lapsi is a yummy dessert hardly needs any introduction! This is a tasty Gujarati sweet/dessert. It has goodness of broken wheat. Broken wheat normally takes time to cook. However, in the pressure cooker it cooks properly and fast.
Serves 3 people
Bugler wheat/Broken wheat/Ghav na fada – 1/2 cup
Ghee – 1/4 cup
Slices almond, cashew and raisin
water – 2 cups
Sugar – 1/3 cup
1. Heat ghee in a pan. Add Fada/bulger wheat/broken wheat and nuts. Saute it until it gets light golden brown in color over low to medium heat.
2. Take this mixture into a pressure cooker bowl. Add water and mix it very well.
3. Put this bowl into pressure cooker and close the lid. Pressure cook it for 4 – 5 whistle.
4. Let pressure cooker cools down.
5. Take cooked mixture into a pan. Switch on the flame.
6. Add sugar and mix it very well. Cook it for another 5 minutes over medium heat. If Oramu seems to be watery, let it cook on law flame till water evaporates. Make sure it is not too watery or not too dry.
7. Your Oramu / Fada Lapsi is ready.