Indian beards are wide variety of flat breads and crepes which are an integral part of Indian cuisine. Their variation reflects the diversity of Indian culture and food habits. Naan is one of them. Naan is a oven baked flat bread popular in West, Central and South Asia.
A typical naan recipe involves mixing white flour with salt, yeast and enough yogurt to make a smooth, elastic dough. Instead of yeast I used Baking soda and soda bi carb. And instead of oven I cook it on tava on stove top.
All purpose flour (Maida) – 4 cups
Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Sugar – 1 tbsp
Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
Yogurt – 3 tbsp
Oil – 3 tbsp
Water if needed
Milk – 1 cup
Garlic and pepper powder for seasoning
1. In a bowl mix milk, sugar, yogurt, and oil.
2. In another bowl mix all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sieve them.
3. Knead the soft dough using milk mixture.
4. Apply oil on dough. Cover it and let it rest for 30 minutes.
5. After 30 minutes take little oil in hand and knead the dough again.
6. Cover it with cling wrap and let dough rest for 5-6 hours.
7. After 5-6 hours divide dough in to 8 equal parts.
8. Roll the dough using generous amount of dry flour.
9. Heat tawa at medium heat and put rolled naan. Wait until you see some bubble on naan.
10. Now put stand on direct stove and put naan on stand. cook it doe few seconds till you see brown spots on naan.
11. Naan is ready. Seasoned it with your choice of seasoning like Garlic, Butter or kasuri methi.
Serve it with your choice of Curry or Dal.