Masala Dosa is famous all over world. A properly made crisp and savoury Indian Dosa is delicious and very easy to make. Masala Dosa is made by stuffing a dosa with a lightly cooked filling of potatoes, fried onions and spices. The dosa is wrapped around potato and onion masala. Masala Dosa is on the list of world’s 50 most delicious food. You can have Masala Dosa with sambhar and chutney for Lunch, Dinner or For breakfast on holiday. I have added Parboiled rice and urad dal. Plus have added chana dal and fenugreek seeds. Chana dal gives very nice color and aroma to the dosa. Fenugreek seeds are added to aid the fermentation process. Follow this step by step procedure, It is my guarantee – your dosa will come out crisp and yummy.
Parboil rice / Ukada chokha – 2 cup
Chana dal – 1/4 cup
Urad dal – 1 cup
Fenugreek seeds(methi dana) – 1 tbsp
Salt as per taste
Water as needed
Boiled, peeled and cut into square pieces potato – 2 cups
Oil – 2 tbsp
Sliced onion – 1 cup
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 5 -6
Green chilies – 2
For dosa Batter
1. Wash and soak the parboiled rice, urad dal, chana dal and fenugreek seeds separately for at least 6 hours.
2. Drain the water.
3. In a grinder, grind rice, urad dal, fenugreek seeds and chana dal separately. Add 3 to 4 tbsp of the water while grinding. Keep adding a few tbsp of water in between if needed. The batter should be light and fluffy. Don’t add too much water in the beginning. keep adding little water in between. The batter should not be thick or thin.
4. Take this batter in to big bowl. Make sure there is room to ferment the batter properly. Add salt and mix it very well.
5. Cover the bowl with a lid and keep it in a warm place for about 10 to 12 hours. The best place to put the dosa batter is microwave or oven.
6. After fermentation, the dosa batter rises and doubles up.
For Potato masala for filling
1. Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and urad dal and let it splutter. Add green chilies and curry leaves, cook it for few seconds.
2. Add Sliced onion. Saute it for 2 minutes on medium heat. Add potatoes, salt and turmuric powder. Mix them very well and cook it for 3 to 4 minutes on medium heat.
Now let’s make Masala Dosa
1. Heat non stick or flat iron griddle. Take a big spoonful of the dosa batter. Pour it on the griddle. As soon as you pour it, quickly spread the batter in a circular motion to get a thin dosa.
2. Pour some oil or ghee on the top and edges. I prefer ghee as it gives very nice aroma and taste.
3. Once it is cooked on high to medium flame from the bottom, add potato masala in the middle of the dosa. Cover the masala with its remaining part of dosa and let it cook for 15 to 20 seconds.
Note :- If the pan is very hot then you cannot spread the dosa batter nicely. Either sprinkle cold water on the pan and then wipe it out or take out griddle from the flame, spread the dosa batter and put it back on to the flame. Or you can simply reduce the flame while spreading the dosa batter.