Gujarati Dal is cooked lentil soup with lots of spices, jeggery and lemon or tamarind. It always contains herbs and spices such as coriander, cumin, turmeric …..
This is a great tasting daal and is very healthy and very popular in south part of Gujarat.
Serving size 4 people
Cumin – 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Pinch of Hing(asafoetida)
Green chilies – 2
Cinnamon – 1 small stick
Cloves – 2
Methi and urad dal powder – 1/2 tsp
Chopped Curry leaves – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Jeggary or sugar – 1 tbsp
Lemon juice – 2 tbsp or 1 tsp imli(tamarind)
Cilantro – 2 tbs
Chopped tomato – 1
Toor dal/Arhar dal/yellow lentils – 1 cup
Oil – 1 tbsp
Ghee(clarified butter) – 1 tsp
1. Cook the toor dal with 2 cups of water either in a pot or in a pressure cooker, until fully cooked. When dal is hot, blend it very well.
2. Heat oil and ghee in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, methi and urad dal powder, asafoetida, green chilies, cinnamon stick and cloves. Allow it to crackle.
3. Add cooked dal into tempering. Add around 2 cups of water. Add Red chili powder, Salt, Turmeric, Jeggary or sugar, Lemon juice, Cilantro and Chopped tomato.
4. Allow it to boil for 8- 10 minutes on medium to low heat.
5. Gujarati Khati-Mithi Dal is ready.
Serve it with sabzi, phulka and rice.
The consistency of the dal should be pouring consistency. Just make sure it’s not too watery or not too thick.