Although this unusual dish is typically a jain preparation, it fits well into any gujarati menu as the gujaratis simply love Ganthiya! This curry is made with freashly made ganthiya. In Gujarati, sour means khatu and Curry means Shak. In another way you may name Ganthiya Nu Khatu Shak as Sour Chick pea Noodles curry.
Besan(chick pea flour) – 1 tsp
Sour curd(yogurt) – 1 cup
Salt to taste
Chili powder -1 tbsp
Dhana jeera powder( coriender and cmin powder) – 1 tbsp
Pinch of turmeric
Pinch of asofatida(hing)
Green chilies – 2
Oil – 2 tbsp
Water – 5 cups
Chick pea flour(besan) – 1 cup
Chili powder – 1 tsp
Dhana jeera powder – 1 tsp
Pinch of turmeric
Pinch of asafatida (hing)
Oil – 1 tsp
Water as needed
1. In one bowl take curd. Add chick pea flour and add 5 cups of water. Blend this mixture.
2. Take 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add asofatida(hing), green chilies and curry leaves. (If you to want add Garlic, you may add at this point). Add above mixture into the oil. Let it boil than add salt, turmuric, chili powder, dhana jeera powder. Give it a good stir and let it boil for 5 minutes on medium to high heat.
3. In another bowl, take 1 cup of chick pea flour. Add salt, turmeric, chili powder, oil, asofatida and water. Make a soft dough.
4. Take a handy Sev Machine (seviya machine). This machine comes with different type of mould. Use ganthiya mould. Place mould at bottom in the machine and place dough in it. Close the machine tightly.
5. When gravy is boiled, hold the machine over the gravy and turn the handle to force the dough through the mould, moving continuously in a circular motion.
6. Let it cook on a medium to high heat for 5 – 10 mins or until ganthiya is fully cooked.
7. Ganthiya nu Khatu shak is ready
Serve it with Phulka Roti or Bhakhari or Bajri na Rotla.
Note :- Instead of making Ganthiya at home, you can buy it from store also.