Here is a very famous Gujarati tea-time healthy snack Dudhi Na Muthiya that is sure to please you. Muthi means fist in Guajarati, and the dish is named such because the mixture is shaped into cylindrical rolls using the fist. One thing to remember while making doodhi na muthia is that bottle gourd has high water content. This water itself is sufficient to impart softness to the Muthias, and it is not necessary to add any more water while making the dough. It can be prepared in two ways, you can either steam it or fry it.
Grated Dudhi/zucchini – 2 cups
Salt to taste
Sugar – 3 tsp
Chili powder – 2 tsp
Lemon juice – 3 tsp
Chopped cilantro/coriander – 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Soda bi-carb – 2 pinch
asafoetida (hing) – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 3 tbsp
Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
Semolina(rava) – 1 cup
Besan (Check pea flour) – 1 cup
Cooked rice or Rice flour – 1/2 cup (You can use coarsely crushed quinoa too)
Crushed oats – 1 cup
Cumin and mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 5 to 6
Garam masala – 1tsp
Dried grated coconut – 2 tsp
1. Take grated dudhi in a broad bowl. Add Salt, Chili powder, Sugar, Turmeric powder, asafoetida (hing), 1 tbsp oil and Garam masala. Mix it very well.
2. Add Whole wheat flour, Semolina(rava), Besan (Check pea flour), Cooked rice or Rice flour, Crushed oats and cilantro. Add soda bi-carb and Squeeze lemon juice on soda bi-carb. Mix it. Apply oil on your palm. Divide mixture into 5 equal portions.
3. Take a greased sieve and arrange the rolls. And steam it in a steamer for 45 minutes on a High to medium heat.
4. Check it using toothpick whether it is done or not.
5.Remove, cool slightly and cut into slices and keep aside.
6. For the tempering, heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle, add sesame seeds, curry leaves, Whole red chili and asafoetida on a medium heat for a few seconds.
7. Add the muthia pieces and saute on a medium flame for 5 minutes or till they turn brown in color and crisp. Add grated coconut. Mix it very well.
8. Garnish it with cilantro.
Serve it with Sweet chutney or Tomato sauce.