Ever wonder how to beat the scorching summer heat? Just remember humble crunchy cucumber! Nonetheless, this wonderful low calorie vegetable indeed has more nutrients to offer than just water and electrolytes.
It is one of the oldest cultivated crops, and believed to be originating in the northern sub-Himalayan plains of India. It is one of the very low calorie vegetables; provide just 15 calories per 100g. It contains NO saturated fats or cholesterol.
Cucumber Dal is a dish from south India, dal cooked with lentils and cucumber.
Serve 2-3 People
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 5-6
Asofaitida (Hing) – one pinch
Salt to taste
Finely chopped Garlic – 1 tsp
Whole red chilies – 1
Chopped tomatoes – 1/2 cup
Chopped onion – 1/2 cup
Cucumber – 2 cup
Oil – 2 tbsp
Chili powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala – 2 tsp
Cumin coriander powder -2 tsp
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Soaked Tur dal(Arhar dal) – 2 cup (soak dal for 30 minutes)
Water – 5 cup
Lemon juice – 2 tsp
1. Heat oil in pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, hing, whole red chilis and curry leaves. When mustard seeds and cumin seeds begin to splutter add garlic, onion and tomatoes. Saute it on medium heat for few seconds.
2. Add cucumber and mix it very well.
3. Add Chili powder, turmeric powder, salt, garam masala and Cumin coriander powder. Mix it well.
4. Add soaked tur dal and water. Stir it very well.
5. Close the pressure cooker lead. And allow it to cook for three whistles.
6. When cooker cools down, open the lid and add lemon juice. Mix it very well.
7. Garnish it with cilantro.