Poha is a flattened rice. Poha is used for various Indian snacks such as chivda or in desserts. In this recipe, Poha is washed gently to make a savory dish sometimes known as Batata Poha or Kanda poha. It is very easy and quick breakfast item. Batata Poha is very wholesome and tasty. It tastes best when had hot and fresh. It is very popular in India. I made very simple version of Batata Poha, you may add carrots, green peas and corn. You can also add peanuts. But I like my Batata Poha very simple with Dry Garlic chutney. You may also sprinkle Sev Or Pomegranate seeds while serving.
Thick Poha – 2 cups
Chopped Potato / Batata – 1 cup
Chopped Onion – 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – 5 to 6
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1/2 tsp (Optional)
Lemon juice – 1 1/2 tbsp
Chopped Green chilies – 1 tsp
Dry garlic chutney for garnish (optional)
Cilantro / coriander for garnish
Oil – 2 tbsp
1. Wash Poha in sieve for few seconds. Toss well to drain out all the water. Keep it aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and urad dal. Let them cook until it becomes golden brown in color. Add curry leaves.
3. Add onions and saute on medium flame for 2 minutes.
4. Add Potatoes, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
5. Add washed and drained poha, green chilies and lemon juice. Mix them very well and cook on medium flame for 2 – 3 minutes. Stir occasionally.
6. Add Coriander / cilantro and mix very well.
7. Sprinkle some dry garlic chutney while serving. Serve hot with coriander and lemon wedge.